Sunday, September 19, 2021

My body my choice

Some recent serendipity has brought memories of time with my grandchildren this summer and concern over rising individualism in our society to the forefront of my mind.

Kinship experience


A commentary by Deacon William T. Ditewig, Ph.D. on the Limits of Choice, Personal Freedom and the Common Good concludes “The bottom line is that “my body, my choice” is an inadequate and flawed argument no matter who makes it.” 


My personal freedom extends only as far as the personal freedom of others. At some point, the moral choice is to surrender a measure of personal freedom for the common good of all. Consider how we veterans are often greeted: “Thank you for your service!” It is acknowledged that, as a class of people, military personnel put their own personal freedom aside to a degree in order to benefit their comrades and the country. Taking the vaccination, even under a mandate, is less about one’s personal good than it is about the good of others.1


When we look at vaccination through the slice of reality that concentrates on scientific analysis and focuses on what we can measure with our traditional senses most of the Canadian population accepts vaccination as a means to reduce the “viral load” in the population, reduce the chances of the unvaccinated acquiring serious infection, and reduce the pressure on our health care system of over crowded ICU’s and exhausted health care workers.


Thinking about the time with my grandchildren, two of whom are too young for vaccination, I am aware of a reality outside our experience with the slice based on measurement and physical senses. I am connected to my grandchildren in a kinship based on love that extends my good feelings for them to care as if they were my body. I am reminded of the times when calling their names, I address them by their father’s name or conversely, they address me as “Dad”. This familial connection is a step beyond a narrow perception of reality and the individual. Neuroscience may be able to identify how different areas of the brain “light up” in response to connection with loved ones. 


In the past year, I spent some time in treatment, surgery, and recovery. One realization coming from that time is that the prayers and good wishes of people support healing. Another insight is that the person receiving emotional and physical support from others also incurs an obligation to also act to support his own recovery and healing.


The connection of kinship denies the argument “my body, my choice”. When we imagine the characteristics of a better world, we see that one step involves understanding that all humanity is connected. Our choices are influenced by the needs of others and our actions impact the lives of others. 


An earlier blog post “Discerning Benefits for all in Culture Wars” ( http://tinyurl.com/y223u2hh  ) offers support for the idea that opportunity for more common ground than difference in the Culture Wars may lead to replacement of dualistic confrontation with mutual appreciation and understanding.


1(2021, August 21). The Limits of Choice: Personal Freedom and the Common Good. Retrieved August 22, 2021, from https://billditewig.blog/2021/08/21/the-limits-of-choice-personal-freedom-and-the-common-good/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment